The holidays are a time of cheer and good tidings, but they also mean the inevitable holiday weight gain for many people.
For starters, a traditional Christmas dinner typically consists of several carb-rich foods, which can be challenging to resist.
Second, the parties going on all season long are often filled with treats, drinks, and foods that can destroy ketosis faster than you can recite ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas!!
Don’t even get me started on Christmas candies and cookies that are often hanging out at office parties, networking events, and even your local salon!
Now for some good news though. You CAN make it through the holiday season without going off your diet with a few simple tricks and tips.
Yes, it will take some planning. But, I promise you not only will it be worth it, you won’t feel like you missed out on anything your carb-loving friends are indulging in!
In this keto Christmas guide, I’ll break down the easiest ways to avoid temptation and stay on track all season long! I’m also sharing gift ideas for your fellow keto enthusiasts in your life. Hey, you might even want to mention this to friends and family that are trying to figure out what to get you for Christmas too.
There’s a lot to unpack in this mammoth of a post, so let’s just dive right in!
Keto Christmas Guide to Presents – Gift Ideas for Keto Enthusiasts
We’ll start with gifts. There are so many people out there looking for gift ideas, but there is one person in particular that you might not have thought of: your KETO friend.
If you’re struggling to think of the perfect gift idea – whether it be something for under the tree or a stocking stuffer – I have you covered. Check out some of these Keto-compatible gifts!
1. Keto Brownie Pan – This is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite keto-friendly brownies recipe.
2. Leak-Proof Lunch Box – Sauce and dressings don’t always play nice in the same container, but this leakproof lunch box separates your sauce and condiments, so you don’t have to worry about a soggy lunch pail.
3. The Keto Diet Cookbook – This book gives you every recipe you need to turn a good keto diet into a great one! It comes with everything from burgers and pizza to brownies and steak.
4. Keto Cheesecake – This is the perfect gift for the cheesecake-lover in your life! You can order it from a bakery and have it delivered. Or, go the extra step and make it yourself. Grab a cake box and board set, and make a few! Add a fancy bow, and people will think you ordered it from some high end shop. Here are a few recipes you won’t believe are keto:
- Keto Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Cookie Crust
- Keto Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake with an Oreo Cookie Crust
- Keto Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake with a Sugar Cookie Crust
5. Food Scale – Why use a regular scale when there’s one that tells you what carbs and calories are in your food?
6. Keto Cake and Frosting Mix – Deliciousness is in the bag! Easy to bake, and you’ve got yourself a delicious keto dessert. Place the two items in a mixing bowl with a spatula. Wrap it up and voila!
7. Keto Brownies Mix – This is the chocolatey, gooey brownie mix that will quench all of your sweet tooth cravings. Pair it with a pan, for an instant gift.
Related: Try the Best Keto Brownie Recipe! It’s dark and decadent, and will blow your mind!
8. Personal Blender – We’re allowed to be a little extra at Christmas. This blender is perfect for when you’re traveling or in a hurry and don’t have time to make a full breakfast. Just add in some protein powder, fruits, and veggies for a high-protein meal on the go!
9. Keto Snack Pack – Check out my post featuring 17 keto-friendly snacks, grab several of them and put them in a nice bag or basket. Or grab some and stuff a stocking with them!
10. Burger Press – Make your own perfect keto burger patties with this press! And, pair them with a keto burger bun. Take my perfect keto dinner roll recipe, and just make them large enough for a burger, and you’ve got a tasty bun without the guilt.
11. Keto Chewy Bars – These chewy bars will satisfy your sweet tooth and make an excellent pre or post-workout snack, or a snack to hold you over until you can get a proper meal in a pinch.
12. Pressure Cooker – A pressure cooker is perfect for those days when you don’t have much time to cook, but want to stay on track. Forget takeout, and create something restaurant worthy in less time than you might think.
13. Ketosis Testing Strips – Know precisely when you’re in ketosis with these easy-to-use testing strips. Perfect for keeping you in ketosis throughout the holidays!
14. Keto Bread Mix – My Fathead Pizza Dough recipe is my go-to for flatbreads, and I love my keto sandwich bread recipe too. But, even I can appreciate the need for a keto bread mix for busy nights. This bread turns out delicious, and will allow you to maintain your regimen without sacrificing the feel of eating carbs.
15. Keto Meal Planner – Whether you’re trying to lose some weight or just maintain it, this dry-erase meal planner will keep you on track even when all that holiday food is calling your name.
What do you want for Christmas? I’d love to know. Leave a comment below and share your Christmas wish!
Keto Christmas Guide to Eating During the Holidays
You don’t have to give up your keto diet during the holiday season if you plan ahead and take some precautions.
Aside from the obvious foods, there are many other factors at play that might tempt your willpower.
Here are some tips I’ve learned from my keto diet journey that will help you maintain your keto diet this Christmas:
1. Plan ahead and prepare everything you think you might need to make it easier. This may mean eating before events to help you resist temptations.
2. Find keto-friendly recipe swaps for your favorite holiday dishes. Research keto recipes that are holiday-friendly, including desserts and appetizers.
3. Get enough sleep! During the holiday season, it’s easy to stay up late while enjoying friends and family, but lack of sleep can cause a shift in hormones, creating more cravings for snacks and sweets.
4. Pack snacks with enough fat and protein to avoid hunger cravings.
5. Don’t skip breakfast! Eat a high-protein breakfast, or at least grab a protein coffee to keep you full longer and less likely to cave when treats are plentiful.
6. Don’t beat yourself up! Sometimes we get off track and have some delicious food. But if you do, it’s okay to enjoy yourself – then get back on the healthy train ASAP.
7. Make an effort to get together in person or at least online with like-minded individuals (i.e. other people on the keto diet) so you can support each other during the festivities.
These are just some tips to keep you on track with your keto diet during the holiday season, but think about what will work best for you. While it’s easy to just blindly follow someone else’s advice, I understand that everybody is different. Nonetheless, I hope these ideas are helpful!
Keto Christmas Guide to Hosting a Keto Christmas Party or Dinner
If you decide to host a holiday party and want to keep it Keto-friendly, it can be a little stressful to plan out all the recipes. Don’t sweat it! I’ve got you covered!
When hosting a party, it is important to ensure your guests will enjoy what they eat. Although everyone attending your event may not be on the keto diet, you can make things that align with your goals, and that are crowd pleasers to boot.
Having guests bring their favorite dishes is a great way for you to stay on track while allowing your friends and family to enjoy their preferred foods as well.
Ensuring you provide enough options is also key, so no one feels left out or stuck with what you’re serving.
Here are some great recipes that are not only delicious, but also keep your keto guests happy:
1. Keto Creamy Chicken and Cauliflower Salad – This recipe has few ingredients and will definitely come in handy when you have that last-minute guest!
2. Keto Garlic Bread – Do you miss garlic bread? This keto garlic bread is the perfect replacement and will go great with your chicken and cauliflower salad!
3. Gluten-Free Provencal Tomato Tart – Who doesn’t love a good tart? This recipe is gluten-free and will be sure to impress all your guests – keto or not.
4. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – This side dish pairs perfectly with that Christmas ham!
5. Keto Cauliflower Mac ‘n Cheese – Why should noodles have all the fun? This is another excellent dish that you can make on the day of your holiday gathering. It’s delicious, quick, and will be gone before you know it!
6. Keto Spinach Artichoke Bread Ring Dip – Your friends will seriously wonder how this appetizer is keto-friendly.
7. Don’t forget dessert! I have loads of keto-friendly desserts on my blog. Check out more than 20 of them right here. They are sure to please even the pickiest guest at your event!
8. If you want to serve cocktails at your event, you need my top 10 keto alcohol drinks list. While I admit the list is filled with recipes that are most appropriate for summer, it might inspire some keto-friendly Christmas cocktails!
These are just some of the great recipes that all your guests will be able to enjoy during the holidays.
Keep The Keto Journey Going All Year
Maintaining your keto diet all year long can be a challenge, but as long as you plan and prepare for all the holidays, birthdays, special events and more, you should be able to stay on track!
If you’re hosting a Christmas party yourself this year, don’t be afraid to go Keto! It’s not as complicated as people think. There are so many delicious substitutes and keto-friendly recipes.
Thankfully, we live in a day and age where it’s normal to be on some type of specialty diet. And, there’s plenty of blogs and keto cookbooks to find the perfect snacks, appetizers, main courses, etc… for any event.
Remember, if you do slip up this holiday season, don’t let the guilt completely derail you. We’re human, and it’s completely normal.
Just hop back on the keto train for the next meal and keep going towards your goals. You have the ability to achieve great things.
I believe in you. You got this!
I hope you have enjoyed reading through this keto Christmas guide. If there was any advice you felt I didn’t cover, please tweet me at @thecathydean, or DM me on Instagram. I’d like to regularly update this post with even more guidance for the keto community.