This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Forget cauliflower! With this amazingly versatile keto Fathead pizza dough recipe, you can enjoy a truly tasty and satisfying pizza on the keto diet. You won’t believe how easy this is to make!
Soon after starting the Keto Diet in early 2018, I began experimenting with keto-friendly versions of my favorite foods. Pizza was near the top of the list!
Bread may have been at the very top – check out my perfect keto bread.
We have Family Movie Night once a week, and homemade pizza is often served during the movie. Imagine my excitement when I realized we didn’t have to give up pizza! After all, it was just a matter of finding a good keto-friendly pizza crust substitute.
I tried a few variations such as the cauliflower crust and the broccoli crust. And they were….just ok. But those certainly were doing nothing to satisfy my craving for pizza.
Then I came across a dough recipe that changed everything.
Keto Fathead Pizza Dough!
This delicious concoction of almond flour and mozzarella cheese was a game-changer in the world of keto. Most commonly used for pizza crust, this versatile dough recipe can also be used for many sweet and savory dishes with small little tweaks to the ingredients. Cinnamon Rolls, Pizza, Sopapilla Cheesecake, Crackers, Chips….the list goes on!
Fathead Dough Recipes from Healthy Ambitions!
But for today’s post, we will focus on pizza. Although a little apprehensive at first, I decided to give this Fat Head dough a try.
Guess what?!?! It turns out we liked the keto Fathead pizza dough even better than the crust I used to make with wheat flour!
And the best part? It’s so simple to make!
How to Make Delicious Pizza with Keto Fathead Pizza Dough
First, mix the almond flour, mozzarella cheese, and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl.
Next, alternate between microwaving for 30 seconds and stirring the dough until you have a homogenous mixture.
Then, mix in 1 egg and your seasonings. This is where you’ll have to get your hands dirty because the best way to get everything mixed together well is by kneading and squishing the dough between your fingers. Very sticky, but super effective. Running your hands under hot water before working with the dough does help. Another option is to use the s-blade in your food processor, but then you have another item to clean afterward.
Decide if you want one big pizza or 4 personal pizzas. I usually divide into 4 personal pizzas because each of my family members prefers different toppings. Whichever you decide, roll out the dough into circles. The easiest way to do this is to place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
Bake the pizza dough in the oven for about 5-6 minutes first. I also find that flipping the dough over and baking an additional 3 minutes really helps set the dough and provides the best texture.
Finally, add your favorite toppings and bake an additional 5-6 minutes until the cheese is melted. If you like to get the cheese more bubbly, turn the broiler on high for the last 2 minutes.
Let the pizza cool for a few minutes right out of the oven, then slice and enjoy!
This Keto Fathead Pizza Dough is a family favorite that we make often. I bet you will love it too!
- 7 oz Pre-Shredded, Low-Moisture Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Toppings of Choice! (sauce, cheese, meats, veggies...it's pizza! The options are endless!
- Mix together the almond flour, mozzarella cheese, and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. I usually make sure the cheeses are coated nicely with almond flour
- Alternate between microwaving for 30 seconds and stirring the dough until you have a homogeneous mixture.
- Mix in the 1 egg and your seasonings. It's best to knead the dough with your hands, but beware, because the cheese may be pretty hot.
- Decide if you want one big pizza or 4 personal pizzas and roll out the dough into circles. The easiest way to do this is place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Bake the pizza dough at 420 degrees F. for about 5-6 minutes until the dough begins to brown. I also find that flipping the dough over and baking an additional 3 minutes really helps set the dough and provides the best texture.
- Add your sauce, cheese, and favorite toppings, then bake an additional 5-6 minutes until the cheese is melted. If you like to get the cheese more bubbly, turn the broiler on high for the last 2 minutes.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes right out of the oven, then slice and enjoy!
I do suggest measuring the mozzarella cheese, but if you do not have a food scale, this amounts to about 1 3/4 cup cheese.
These are my recommended seasonings, but feel free to play around with different seasonings!
Since ovens can vary in temperature settings, watch the pizza closely the first time you make this and adjust your cook times accordingly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 3.5gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 0gProtein: 17g