This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
You may have noticed I’m a big fan of making keto comfort food, and this recipe satisfies the mother of all comfort foods, Mac ‘n Cheese. But in this case, it’s Keto Macaroni and Cheese – made with cauliflower!
Now, I’m not going to lie to you and say the magic of cauliflower will have you believing that you’re eating macaroni noodles. That’s asking a bit much of this white cruciferous plant.
But, if you are a cheese lover like I am…if your love of cheese is rivaled only by your love of chocolate, then you will love this recipe!
I’m including this Keto Macaroni and Cheese in my holiday food challenge, but truth be told, this recipe is great year-round.
Quick question – does your family call it Mac ‘N Cheese or Macaroni and Cheese? Drop me a comment below and tell me!
My Personal Holiday Food Challenge!
For the months of November and December, in honor of all those trying to stay Keto Through the Holidays, I will be posting my favorite holiday food, but ketofied.
Some of the dishes will be new for me, ones I have never ketofied before. I expect some to even be epic failures. But the recipes that are a success, I will certainly share with you.
If all goes well, here are my recipe plans for the months of November and December. As I upload the recipes, I will come back to link them all in the blog posts. If they fail, I will mention that too, or find another recipe.
How to Make Keto Macaroni and Cheese (with Cauliflower) for Your Holiday Gathering
I used the leftover cauliflower florets from the “potato” casserole to make this dish. It’s super simple to make and only requires a few ingredients.
Start by heating your oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the cauliflower florets out in a greased 8×8 baking dish.
Drizzle olive oil over the cauliflower and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30 minutes until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the cheese sauce. Make sure to keep about ½ cup of shredded cheddar to the side to top the casserole with.
Add heavy cream, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and Dijon mustard to a medium saucepan and cook until everything is melted together, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the cheese sauce over the roasted cauliflower and sprinkle with the ½ cup of shredded cheese you set aside earlier.
Bake the keto mac ‘n cheese casserole for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top. I like to bump the oven up to broil for the last minute or two to get the cheese well done on top.
But be careful not to burn the casserole If you decide to do this.
I recommend allowing the casserole to cool slightly before serving. This dish heats up really well, so feel free to double or triple the recipe if you’d like to eat it for several meals!
There are many ingredients you could add to this dish to make it even yummier.
Bacon (because I think we can all agree, bacon makes everything better!)
Pork Rink Panko crumbs
Crumbled Cheese Crisp
Do you have any ingredients you like to use to jazz up a mac ‘n cheese dish? Let me know if the comments below!
Now I have a favor to ask! If you enjoy this keto mac ‘n cheese recipe, please give me a star rating in the recipe card below and share this post on your favorite social media platform.
For the Cauliflower "Mac":
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded and divided
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven ot 400 degrees F
- Spritz an 8x8 baking dish with olive oil and spread the cauliflower florets evenly in the dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over cauliflower florets and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the cheese sauce
- Keep 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar to the side, and add the rest of the cheese along with all the cheese ingredients to a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, and cook until it's melted together, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat until the cauliflower is done.
- Once the cauliflower is done, remove from the oven and pour the cheese mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar, and put back in the oven.
- Continue to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top. I like to bump the oven up to broil for the last minute or two, but be careful to keep a close watch if you do this so you do not burn the mac 'n cheese.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252.51Total Fat: 23.63gSaturated Fat: 13.21gSodium: 353.64mgCarbohydrates: 6.77gFiber: 2.06gSugar: 3.16gProtein: 5.48g