This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
These Keto Butter Crackers are exactly what you are looking for to satisfy your crispy, crunchy, cravings. They are great to use with dips, spreads, and especially peanut butter!
Dare I say, you can even make a copycat Ritz Peanut Butter Cracker? Yes! I do dare say!
I was not planning to make a ketofied version of crackers any time soon. It wasn’t really on my radar.
That is, until I tested out a new pie crust recipe. The two should be seemingly unrelated, but when I broke off a crispy edge of my Pumpkin Pie Crust, my thoughts immediately went to crackers.
The consistency was right. The flavor was close. I wondered…
But then, out of the blue, my mom texted me to ask if I had a good keto saltine or Ritz cracker recipe. Coincidence? I think not!
Four days later, I was texting my mom a picture of my newly created crackers and emailing her a recipe.
Now I’m here to share this recipe with you! It really only took a few tweaks to the pie crust recipe. Remove the sweet, add some salty, and VOILA!
How to Make the Best Keto Butter Crackers
***scroll down for printable recipe
Next, add in butter and cream cheese that has been cut into ½ inch cubes, and pulse until crumbly.
Now the trick here is to use COLD butter and COLD cream cheese. That seems to defy normal instruction, but it’s part of what makes this dough work so well.
Finally, add the egg and pulse again just until a dough ball forms. Remove the dough from the food processor, ball it up in a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Once the dough is chilled, roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper until very thin. I see people talk about 1/8 inch thin, but I’ve never really used a ruler to confirm the thickness.
You want to roll it slightly thinner than you want your cracker, because the dough will puff up just the tiniest little bit. Use a pizza roller to slice the rolled-out dough into your preferred size of cracker.
Do not trim the edges, because these will get pretty crispy, and you will discard the edges after baking. Unless you are like my family and don’t mind the burnt edge crackers, lol
Using a fork, poke holes in the crackers, then dust them lightly will salt.
Bake the Keto Butter Crackers at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. The edges should be pretty brown at this point.
Drop the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for an additional 3 minutes, but watch the crackers closely and remove from the oven if more than the edges begin to brown.
The crackers will not seem crispy at first, but they will crisp up nicely once they cool completely, possibly 1-2 hours for the desired crunch.
Optional Peanut Butter Crackers!
I probably should plan out my recipes better, but so much of it happens on a whim, and this was no exception. I just finished a Keto Butter Cracker photoshoot (what else do you call taking a ridiculous number of pictures of your food), and I remembered I needed to make a batch of peanut butter.
If you’ve never made homemade peanut butter, you’ll want to check out my video to see how easy it is!
As I’m grinding up the peanuts in my food processor, the little idea light bulbs start going off in my head! Memories of eating Ritz peanut butter crackers flashed through my mind.
I quickly answered a very important question. Yes, these crackers go GREAT with peanut butter. My teenager was in heaven as he assembled and devoured two peanut butter cracker sandwiches!
Needless to say, since adopting a ketogenic lifestyle, he has not enjoyed that treat in a very long time.
More Snacks from Healthy Ambitions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Add your dry ingredients to your food processor and pulse until well combined
- Add the butter and cream cheese, then pulse again until crumbly.
- Add the egg and pulse just until dough ball forms.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, ball it up in a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper until very thin (slightly less than the thickness you want your cracker. The thinner you roll it, the crispier it will be)
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into your desired cracker size. Leave the uneven edges because they will brown the most, and you can cut off later.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the crackers, then lightly dust with salt, to desired saltiness.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. The edges will start to brown.
- Drop the oven temperature down to 300 degrees F and bake for an additional 3 minutes. Keep a close watch on them because they will start to brown too much too quickly!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g