This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
It seems like there is a subscription service for everything these days, doesn’t it? You can subscribe on Amazon to have toilet paper and dishwashing detergent delivered to your house monthly. There’s the Dollar Shave Club that allows you to have razors delivered too.
Heck, you can even have a box of dog toys delivered every month for your furry friends via BarkBox. Today, I want to share my ButcherBox review of a meat delivery subscription service that I have been an affiliate for a while that I finally tried in January.
After checking them out, I just had to tell you about my experience purchasing my first box from them.
Prefer to take in your content visually? No problem! Check out my unboxing review of Butcherbox video right here:
First – What is ButcherBox?
ButcherBox like I said is a meat delivery subscription. For one flat fee, you get meats delivered to your door that are high quality – think grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, heritage-breed pork, and wild-caught seafood.
The animals sourced for ButcherBox are always humanely raised, and you won’t have to worry about those pesky antibiotics and GMOs that are sometimes found in the meat at your local grocery store.
At the time of this review, ButcherBox offers 5 boxes to choose from. They are:
- Custom Box – You can choose exactly what goes in your box from 25 high-quality cuts.
- Mixed Box – These boxes include 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork.
- Beef & Chicken Box – You’ll receive a curated selection of 100% grass-fed beef and free-range organic chicken.
- Beef & Pork Box – Every delivery includes a curated selection of 100% grass-fed beef and heritage-breed pork.
- All Beef Box – Just like it sounds, each box has a curated selection of 100% grass-fed beef.
What comes in your box if you don’t choose a custom box can vary month to month based on availability, supply, and what ButcherBox thinks you will enjoy.
Now, let’s get down to business – you came for a ButcherBox review, and below are my honest thoughts on the meat delivery subscription.
By the way, this post is not sponsored. ButcherBox has no idea I’m writing this review. However, if you do purchase a box through my affiliate link, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Let’s Talk Value – 5/5 Stars
When you purchase a ButcherBox the meats come out to an average of under $6 per meal. You can’t even go to McDonald’s for less than $6 nowadays!
And, this is delivered to your door!
If you’re trying to purchase high quality, organic meats – I’d bet you can’t even get this high of quality from a Whole Foods store for these prices.
The boxes are packaged ridiculously well, and I found that when I retrieved it from my doorstep, there was still some dry ice inside, and the meats were still frozen. I call that a huge win!
They could have easily stayed on my patio another couple of hours and I think they still would have been fine.
And if your family is anything like mine, they will enjoy playing with the dry ice. My husband and teenage son had fun creating fog in the kitchen by dumping the dry ice into hot water in the sink.
Just don’t touch it with your bare hands!
Another win? Shipping is free with your box. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough to get you excited – ButcherBox is always offering amazing deals. In fact, I would wait on getting a subscription until a great deal is on their website.
Some of the value deals I’ve seen them offer are:
- Free ground beef for the life of your subscription (as much as 2 lbs of ground beef in every box you have delivered)
- Free bacon for life
- Free chicken for life
- Double your first box (you get double the amount of meat with your first delivery)
- Free wild caught salmon with your first delivery
Is it Convenient? Yes! 5/5 Stars
You really can’t beat something arriving at your door. Driving to the store is such a hassle, not to mention you will spend time and money on gas. With ButcherBox, you simply pick your box, put in your credit card information and address, and before you know it a box of meat is delivered at your door and ready to cook with.
I also like how easy it is to pause or cancel your subscription. One click of a button, and you can either skip a box or just cancel completely. It’s so easy to sign up and discontinue service whenever you want.
What About Flexibility? Again, 5/5 Stars
I really like that you can choose a curated or custom box. While the custom box is a little bit more expensive, it’s nice that they offer both options.
I also like that you can choose between a mixed box, beef & chicken, beef & pork, or an all beef box. Some people just don’t like certain foods, or have other sources they use for chicken or pork.
ButcherBox also has add-ons you can add to your subscription such as boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork chops, Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, or even breakfast sausage.
If that wasn’t enough, you can also choose the frequency of your deliveries. You can have boxes delivered every 4 weeks, every 6 weeks, or every 8 weeks. And, like I said above, if you need to, you can pause your subscription.
So if you’re going out of town, or giving up meat for Lent, you can maintain your subscription and not lose your special offers.
Types Of Plans
There are two types of plans at the time of this review – the Classic Box which includes between 8 and 14 pounds of meat, and the Big Box which includes 18-26 pounds of meat. For both boxes, the amount of meat you receive is dependent on the type of box you are getting of the five mentioned above, and the cut of meat that comes in your box.
Recipe Ideas For Your ButcherBox
The ButcherBox website has tons of recipe ideas, but here are a few from this blog I can’t wait to try with my next box delivery:
- Slow Cooked Whole Chicken – you may have seen in my unboxing video that I received a whole chicken in my first box. This recipe would be perfect for that!
- Super Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl – this recipe calls for ground pork, but recently we started using ground turkey in it, and ButcherBox offers ground turkey in their custom box!
- Keto Low Carb Slow Cooker Pot Roast – I got a pork butt in my first box, and I’m betting it would be a delicious swap for the roast beef in this recipe!
- Keto Hamburger Helper – If you’re lucky enough to score the ground beef for life offer, you need this recipe!
Want to Try ButcherBox For Yourself?
Head over to the ButcherBox website. Like I mentioned before though, only purchase when there is a deal going on! Maximize those savings! If there is a special offer going on right now, then get your ButcherBox today!