Perfect for game day! These keto crispy oven baked chicken wings are the perfect recipe for football season appetizers and snacks.
Fall is here and you know what that means, football is back!
No game day is complete without some great food though. Lucky for you, I’ve got you covered with this recipe that is an absolute staple for any game day.
Keto Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Crispy chicken wings are easily one of the best comfort foods out there.
Lucky for fellow ketogenic people out there, you can still enjoy delicious chicken wings while sticking to your keto diet! I mean it doesn’t get much better than that right?
This is my favorite chicken wings recipe and I bet it will be your favorite too after you try it. With only a few ingredients, it’s quick and simple to make too and the whole family will enjoy it.
Keto Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings Ingredients
Chicken Wings: 2.5 pounds of chicken wings
Baking Powder: 2 tablespoons of baking powder
Onion Powder: 1 tablespoon of onion powder
Salt and Pepper: To taste
How To Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Oven prep: Start out by preheating your oven to 250 degrees F.
Prep the baking rack: Place a baking rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Spritz the baking rack with olive oil, and set it aside.
Prep the chicken wings: Pat the wings dry with a paper towel. If you can leave them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, sitting between a few layers of paper towels, even better! The dryer, the better!
Season the chicken wings: Dump the wings into a gallon-sized zip-lock baggy. Then sprinkle the baking powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper on top. Seal the bag but leave all the air inside. Then shake it all up! Remember shake n bake from back in the day?
Ready the chicken wings: Lay the chicken wings in a single layer on the prepared baking rack, skin side up.
Bake. Bake the chicken wings at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Increase the temperature. Without removing the wings, increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove. Remove the wings from the oven. Toss them in your favorite wing sauce or enjoy them naked!
I usually make a double batch, 5 pounds at a time because we all want our wings tossed in a different sauce. I prefer a butter-garlic-parmesan sauce, but my husband and son prefer a buffalo sauce.
You could also cook these chicken wings in an air fryer. Unfortunately, I do not have an air fryer…yet.
Don’t forget the baking powder! Baking powder is the key to crispy oven-baked wings.
Are Oven Baked Chicken Wings Keto Friendly?
Absolutely! One of my favorite things about living a ketogenic lifestyle and following a keto diet is that I didn’t have to give up so many tasty foods.
And let’s be honest, enjoy chicken wings while sticking to your keto diet is just good for the soul … but, don’t forget to watch your sauces!!
Make sure the sauce you are using is a low-carb sauce or make your own. Looking for sauce recommendations consider trying:
- Butter Garlic Parm Sauce: Simply melt 4 tablespoons of butter, then stir in minced garlic and grated parmesan. Pour over wings or dip the wings and enjoy!
How Do You Make Baked Chicken Skin Crispy?
There is nothing better than crispy chicken skin filled with flavor, but how do you get crispy chicken from the oven?
Easy! The reason you are going to switch up temperatures while cooking is to get that crispy chicken texture we all know and love. When we switch from 250 degrees F to 450 degrees F we are turning up the heat of the oven just long enough to get a great crisp.
Pro-Tip: Don’t forget the baking powder! The baking powder is key to making oven-baked chicken wings crispy.
How To Store Chicken Wings
Personally, I doubt you will even have a chicken wing left for this question to cross your mind.
However, in the off chance you don’t like the plate clean, you can store your chicken wings in the fridge for 3-4 days in an air-tight container.
Pro-Tip: You should not keep your chicken wings at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Can You Freeze Chicken Wings?
Yes, you certainly can! Freezing your chicken wings will keep them edible for an indefinite amount of time.
If you are looking to freeze your chicken wings, make sure you put them in an air-tight container instead of a freezer bag. Important note, although freezing is great, I don’t recommend freezing them for over 6 months. Once you get to the 6-month mark, the texture and taste will start to deteriorate.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Bacon wrapped asparagus
- Baked pork ribs
- 14 amazing keto chicken thigh recipes
- Classic baked chicken thighs
- 2.5 lbs Chicken Wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place a baking rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Spritz the baking rack with olive oil, and set it aside.
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel. If you can leave them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, sitting between a few layers of paper towels, even better! The dryer, the better!
- Dump the wings into a gallon-sized zip-lock baggy, then sprinkle the baking powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper on top. Seal the bag (leave all the air inside), then shake it all up. Remember Shake ‘n Bake from back in the day?
- Lay the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking rack, skin side up.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Without removing the wings, increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and toss in your favorite low-carb wing sauce, or enjoy them naked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 6 wings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 45gCarbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: .2gProtein: 32g