This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
A delicious and comforting homemade keto chicken soup recipe from scratch. Loaded with flavor and texture, you’ll forget that you’re missing the noodles. ?
Chicken soup is a go-to recipe during cold weather months, but it also provides comfort when you are sick with a cold or the flu. Since adopting the keto lifestyle, I had to give up the noodle part of chicken noodle soup. And that’s a tough pill to swallow when sick and craving noodle soup!
In addition to wanting a chicken noodle soup replacement, I’m always looking for new recipes to make with shredded chicken from my Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe. Whole chickens provide a budget-friendly option for the keto diet and it’s a great way to meal prep several meals at once.
The below recipe uses only half of a whole chicken, so make sure to hop over to my article 5 Different Meals with Shredded Chicken for ideas on how to use the other half of the chicken.
There are a few different ways to make this soup. The recipe calls for chicken broth which can be store-bought, but homemade chicken stock will provide more flavor and nutrients.
If you don’t have time to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot, the rotisserie chicken from Costco is a great alternative at a budget-friendly price.
And finally, the onions can be sautéed in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent before pouring the chicken broth in the stockpot for a softer texture OR added in with the shredded chicken for more firmness and a slight crunch.
Any way you make it, this recipe is sure to satisfy the soul and satiate the belly. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 Whole chicken, shredded
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- In a large stockpot, simmer the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and basil on low for 30 minutes.
- While the liquid and seasons are simmering, shred your chicken, slice the mushrooms, and dice the onion.
- Add the chicken, onions, and mushrooms to the stockpot and bring to a boil,
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 30 minutes, until the mushrooms reach the desired tenderness